MADHUSUDAN ***** , Ph. D.
Department of Biological Sciences,
Aug 2009 – present: Assistant Professor,
Department of Biological Sciences, UW- ***** ,
Dec 2005 – Aug 2009: Research Fellow, NICHD, National Institutes of Health,
Bethesda, MD - *****
Dec 2000 – Aug 2005: Post-doctoral Fellow, NICHD, National Institutes of Health,
Bethesda, MD - *****
1. ***** , M. , Velyvis, A. , Li, J. , Chiu, E. , Chiovitti, D. , Kay, L. , Sicheri, F. , and Dever, T. E. (2011) Requirement for kinase-induced conformational change in eIF2α restricts phosphorylation of Ser-5. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA (in press).
2. Dev, K. , Santangelo T. J. , Rothenburg, S. , Neculai, D. , ***** , M. , Sicheri, F. , Dever, T. E. , Reeve, J. N. , Hinnebusch, A. G. (2009) Archaeal aIF2B interacts with eukaryotic translation initiation factors eIF2alpha and eIF2Balpha: Implications for aIF2B function and aIF2B regulation. Journal of Molecular Biology. 392, ***** .
3. Garriz, A. , Qiu, H. , ***** , M. , Seo, E. J. , Dever, T. E. , Hinnebusch, A. G. (2009) A network of hydrophobic residues impeding helix alphaC rotation maintains latency of kinase Gcn2, which phosphorylates the alpha subunit of translation initiation factor 2. Molecular and Cellular Biology 29, ***** .
4. Rothenburg, S. , Deigendesch, N. , ***** , M. , Dever, T. E. , Tazi, L. (2008) Double-stranded RNA-activated protein kinase PKR of fishes and amphibians: varying number of double-stranded RNA binding domains and lineage specific duplications. BMC Biology 6, 12.
5. Lee, K. P. K. , ***** , M, Dante, N. , Cao, C. , Dever, T. E. , Sicheri, F. (2008) Structure of the dual enzyme Ire1 reveals the basis for catalysis and regulation in nonconventional RNA splicing. Cell 132, ***** .
6. Moraes, M. C. S. , Jesus, T. C. L. , Hashimoto, N. N. , Alves, A. S. , Avila, C. C. , ***** , M. , Dever, T. E. , Schenkman, S. , Castilho, B. A. (2007) A novel transmembrane kinase phosphorylates the unusual form of the translation initiation factor 2α of Trypanosoma brucei. Eukaryotic Cell 6, ***** .
7. ***** , M. , Cao, C. , Sicheri, F. , and Dever, T. E. (2007) Conserved salt-bridge interactions required for activation of protein kinases PKR, GCN2 and PERK. Journal Biological Chemistry 282, ***** .
8. ***** , M. , Cao, C. , Dar, A. , Tamura, T. , Ozato, K. , Sicheri, F. , and Dever, T. E. (2005) Mechanistic link between protein kinase PKR catalytic domain dimerization, autophosphorylation and eIF2α phosphorylation. Cell 122, ***** .
9. ***** , M. , Trieselmann, B. , Locke, E. G. , Lu, J. , Cao, C. , Dar, A. , Krishnamurthy, T. , Dong, J. , Sicheri, F. , and Dever, T. E. (2005) PKR and GCN2 kinases and guanine nucleotide exchange factor eukaryotic translation initiation factor eIF2B recognize overlapping surfaces on translation factor eIF2α. Molecular and Cellular Biology 25, ***** .
10. Sharma N, ***** , M. , and Schaar, S. C. (2002) Evidence of two forms of poly (A) polymerase in germinated wheat embryos and their regulation by a novel protein kinase. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 293, ***** .
11. ***** , M. , and Choudhury, S. (2001) Genetically modified organism – A Brave New World! Current Science 80, ***** .
12. ***** , M. , and Guha-Mukherjee, S. (2000) Aspartate metabolism in Cicer immature seeds requires Ca2+, protein phosphorylation and dephosphorylation. Plant Science 150, ***** .
13. ***** , M. , and Guha-Mukherjee, S. (1999) Phytochrome activation of aspartate kinase in etiolated chickpea (Cicer arietinum) seedling. Journal of Plant Physiology154, ***** .
14. ***** , M. , Kalia, S. , Ghosh, S. , and Guha-Mukherjee, S. (1998) Biochemical and molecular basis of differentiation in plant tissue culture. Current Science 74, ***** .
AWARDS AND HONORS
• UW Libraries Research Fellows (2010), UW- ***** , Wisconsin
• The Fellows Award for Research Excellence (FARE) Award, National Institutes of Health, USA, 2004. http://felcom. nih. gov/FARE/
• National Eligibility Test (For Lectureship/Assistant Professor), Agricultural Scientist Recruitment Board, Govt. of India, 1995. http:// ***** . in/icarjob. htm
• National Eligibility Test, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India, 1994. http://www. csir. res. in/
• Junior Fellowship in Genetics and Plant Breeding, Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Govt. of India, 1992. http:// ***** . in/
• National Scholarship, 1987, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India. http://education. nic. in/
2009 School of Medicine, Iowa State University, Iowa, USA
Dept. of Biology, University of Delaware, Delaware, USA
2008 Developmental Biology, Cincinnati Children Hospital, Cincinnati, Michigan, USA
Dept. of Biology, The Catholic University of America, Washington DC, USA
Dept. of Biology, University of Oakland, Rochester, Michigan, USA
2006 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Meeting on Translational Control, Cold Spring, New York, USA
2005 Washington Yeast Club, Washington, USA
2004 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Meeting on Translational Control, Cold Spring, New York, USA
2003 Washington Yeast Club, Washington, USA
2010 (I) Instructor for Graduate Level Course (725) - Signal Transduction and ER Stress, 3 credits, Department of Biological Sciences, UW- ***** , ***** , WI, USA
(II) Instructor, Seminar undergraduate course, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Wisconsin- ***** , WI, USA
(III) Mentor, SMART Teams, ***** School of Engineering, ***** ,
2006 Mentor for Howard Hughes Medical Institute/Montgomery County Public Schools Intern Program at the National Institutes of Health, MD, USA
1997 Mentor for Research Training Program, M. Sc. Student, School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
MADHUSUDAN ***** , Ph. D.