July 2010 –To date
Senior Scientific Officer, National Herbarium, National Agriculture Research Centre, Islamabad.
• Assist in the Curation of National Herbarium.
• Assist for the preparation of database of Plants of Pakistan, Database for Herbarium Collection, Scientific and Common Names of Plants.
• Familiar with Herbarium techniques, Taxonomic and Ecological procedures.
July 2009 –June 2010
Conservation Officer, WWF-Pakistan, Karachi Regional office
I was responsible to:
• Provide technical assistance in the development of Wetland Action Plan.
• Development of management plans and other strategic documents relating to the conservation of wetlands.
• Developing a wetland biodiversity database.
• Providing technical assistance in developing projects and concept paper on Wetlands Conservation and water resources.
• Carrying out research studies with particular emphasis on wetland and water resource conservation issues.
• Organizing / participating in ecological and socio-economic surveys of wetland and Water resources areas.
• Organizing, developing, and conducting wetland conservation awareness raising campaigns, workshops for different target groups.
• Coordinated in developing a Website of Wetland Centre ( ***** ).
• Highlighting wetland conservation issues through the local media by writing articles and participating in seminars and meetings.
• Conducting socio-economic and need assessment survey of the coastal communities of Sindh.
• Participated in developing a key project on Water and Sanitation for the Coastal communities LathBasti and other coastal communites.
• Participated in Free eye camp for the Communities of Lath Basti arranged by KESC.
• Community mobilization for the Natural resource Management.
• Developing a concept note on the Conservation of Offshore Islands of Pakistan.
• Also developing Educational tool kit for Students regarding Mangrove.
• Developed Brochure on Wetland Centre and its activities.
• Developed Brochure on Mangrove Ecosystem of Pakistan.
• Actively involved in environmental education (outreach and In house Programme) for CDGK Schools regarding Environment, Water conservation, Biodiversity conservation, Mangroves, Turtles
• Developing Activity Work book for student on Mangroves Ecosystem.
• Developing a toolkit for Kindergarten student on Mangroves Ecosystem.
• Involved in environmental education activities such as Beach cleaning, conducting Mangrove conservation and plantation by different schools, colleges and university.
Conservation Ecologist, CAB International, Regional Bioscience Center, Rawalpindi, Pakistan
• Performed my duties as a Representative of Pakistan in a CABI’s IAS Network – Core Team in Global Invasive Species Programme (GISP).
• Led different projects during this time period which are:
• Pasture management in Phasti valley (Chitral) to identify the prevailing vegetation status, potential and management of the pasture.
• Alien Invasive species and their management in Pakistan.
• Distribution of Paper mulberry (Highly Invasive Plant of Pakistan) and searching the possibilities for its management.
• Collection of bio control agents of North American Invasive weed Acroptilon repens in Balochistan areas (Quetta, Ziarat, Hanna) and Iran.
Also conducted several surveys in:
• Different areas of Pakistan to collect and identify Wild Saccharum and associated grasses for Sugarcane Endophyte Project.
• Iran (Tehran, Mashahad, Isfahan) for the collection of suitable bio control agents for the management of a North American weed Aroptilon repens.
• Also was engaged in Integrated Weed Management through Farmer participatory Training Program including Training of Trainers and Farmer Field Schools in different areas (Nawabshah, Sakkur, Chitral, Booni, Mardan etc) of Pakistan.
• Developed projects on biodiversity related issues specifically on invasive plants in Pakistan and possibilities for their management.
• Also worked in CAB International (Switzerland Centre) as a Trainee Scientist on a project to study the biology and host specificity of phytophagous insects for the biological control of Russian knapweed (Acroptilon repens) in North America.
May 1998 - December 1999
Research Fellow, National Herbarium, (National Agriculture Research Council), Islamabad
The responsibilities were:
• Assisted in the Curation of National Herbarium.
– Prepared new collections for addition in National Herbarium.
– Identification, Poisoning, Mounting and Cataloguing of Herbarium Specimens.
– Assisted for the preparation of database of Medicinal Plants of Pakistan: data collection including information related to plants, Research Institutes, Commercial traders, pharmaceutical companies and research scientists involved in the research and trade of medicinal plants.
– Assisted in preparing a Database for Herbarium Collection, Common Names and Scientific Names of Plants.
• Assisted in the preparation of Flora of Chitral.
• Familiar with Herbarium techniques, Taxonomic and Ecological procedures.
FOREIGN TRAVELS / TRAININGS
December 2004 India (Delhi)
Visited (CABI Centre, Delhi) India to strengthen the collaborations and to work on the new initiatives of Invasive Alien species its management in both countries.
May- July 2004 Iran (Tehran, Mashhad, Isfahan)
Conducted two visits to Iran (1st visit (11th May – 02nd June 04 and 2nd visit (15th July – 12th August 04) for the collection of suitable bio control agents for the management of a North American. These insects (Beetles, inflorescence miner, midges) were collected from field on Acroptilon plants growing around, water channels, ditches, open fields and road sides, waste lands of Tehran, Mashhad and Isfahan.
Italy (Rome) May 2002
France (Paris) Aug 2002
Netherlands (Amsterdam) July 2002
July 2002 Germany (Freiburgh)
A field survey was conducted to collect the Bio control agents of Diamondback moth for Cabbage crop IPM. Different species of insects (Beetles) were collected from the different wild Brassicacea plants from roadsides and wasteland for host testing and potency as natural enemy of Diamond back moth (DBM).
April - September 2002 Switzerland (Delemont)
Participated in 5-6 months training on “The biological control of weeds (Acroptilon repens and Potentilla recta)’’ CABI Bioscience Centre, Switzerland. A project to study the biology and host specificity of phytophagous insects (Wasps, Midges) for the biological control of Russian knapweed (Acroptilon repens) in North America. These insects were exposed to different native plants of America to verify their potency of infestation.
MEDIA ASSIGNMENTS/NEWSPAPER ARTICLES
• Anchored discussion on Biodiversity in the daily Jang Forum to commemorate the International Biodiversity Day 2001.
Articles were published in different Newspapers and Magazines
• Alien Invasive species: A growing threat to biodiversity (Daily "The News").
• Parthenium hysterophorus : A serious threat to biodiversity in Pakistan (Daily-The News).
• Is Astola Island Towards Invasion? (The Nations, Daily Times, Wisdom, The Age, SHE).
• Blue Bottle: a common beach hazard that has yet to be addressed (The News)
• Call for safe guarding beaches from cigarette butt litter (PPI- Pakistan Press International; January 11th, 2010)
• Ecotourism (Ferozan, WWF Magazine)
• Mangroves of Pakistan, 2010, WWF publication.
1. ***** May 2001 Garhi Dopatta, AJK, Pakistan “Project Formulation and Appraisal” held at ESMA (Area Development Programme, AJK, UNDP Project (Extension Services Management Academy).
Workshops / Consultancies
1. Attended Workshops and Seminar on:
• October 4-8, 1999; Medicinal plants conservation and management issues in Pakistan (Applied Ethno botany) ; Organized by WWF-Pakistan and People and Plants
• February ***** , 2001, Islamabad. Non Formal Education for IPM Resource Persons;; Organized by National IPM Programme,
• January ***** , 2002; Islamabad. Facilitation skills Development; Organized by National IPM Programme and Asian Development Bank,
2. April 20th 2010, Karachi DelPHE Project Seminar on Biodiversity, Aquaculture and Fisheries; Organized by Centre of Excellence in Marine Biology, Khan Institute of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering (KIBGE), University of Karachi.
3. Conducted a field survey at the project sites “Upper Siran Biodiversity Conservation” funded by UNDP, GEF, SGP and prepared Project Evaluation report as a Consultant.
• Fully aware of developing projects.
• Good writing skill (Report writing, presentations, project writing, article writing etc)
• Excellent Communication skills.
• Develop Student Educational Material regarding Conservation (Students toolkit)
• Capable of working as a team member as well as lead the team.
• Completely aware of general Laboratory techniques.
• Enjoy travelling. Collected plants in many remote areas of Pakistan (including Chitral, Swat, Gilgit as well as many areas in Sindh and Balochistan)
Leadership, Project Development, Ecosystem Management Capacity Building, Management Plans, Scientific Research, Awareness& Education, Report Writing, and Survey, CEPA, interviews and documentary related to the environmental issues have been broadcasted in various television channels (Urdu and English). Participate and arrange Training programme on Wetlands Management, Seminar, Community Development/ ***** puter Skills, Power point presentation, Education Material Development, Brochure development, Training, Learning new development in Science and Technology, Watching movies painting, make new friends, National & International traveling, etc.