***** California State University Long Beach Long Beach, CA
Masters of Arts in Global Logistics
• Outstanding Graduate Student of the Year in Global Logistics
1996–2000 Istanbul Technical University Istanbul, Turkey
Maritime Transportation and Management Engineering (B. S. )
• Unlimited Ocean Going Chief Mate License
05. 10- Hamburg Süd North America, Inc. Morristown, NJ
Marine Operations Manager, East Coast & Gulf
• Traffic coordinator for Region North America.
• Work closely with Customs, the Coast Guard and other governmental and regulatory organizations to assure compliance with local, regional, federal and international laws governing operations.
• Procure goods and services to keep vessels and crews running at peak efficiency
• Coordination of loss prevention initiatives.
• Investigate and process vessel and cargo related claims. Obtain the necessary information and documents required for litigation.
• Provide feedback to appropriate parties to detect causes of cargo equipment and vessel damage to reduce reoccurrence of claims incidents.
• Contract negotiations with vendors
• Administrative oversight & Cost Control
• ERP implementation of projects
• Management of container vessel planning team
• Maintain Liner Schedule Optimization
02. ***** . 10 Hamburg Süd North America, Inc. Long Beach, CA
Manager, Operations, Area West Coast
• All aspects of Vessel & Terminal Marine Operations.
02. ***** . 06 National Cargo Bureau Inc. New York, NY
• Inspected of containers loaded with hazardous cargo for compliance with U. S. Coast Guard regulations and/or International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code.
• Provided consultation service to ensure proper completion of the Dangerous Cargo Manifest.
• Provided Hazmat Training in applicable regulations
• Inspected and certified containers and road vehicles for transportation under Customs seal.
• Surveyed condition of the container for suitability to receive any particular cargo.
• Provided consultation concerning stowage of the cargo in the container.
• Inspected containers for handling damages.
• Inspected containers loaded with hazardous cargo for compliance with U. S. Coast Guard regulations and/or International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code.
• Provided consultation concerning out of gauge and flat rack securing in accordance with CSS Annex 13.
• Provided consultation concerning loading, stowage and securing of general cargo on and under deck, including special surveys of heavy or large items.
• Provided consultation concerning the stowage of explosives, and packaged and bulk hazardous cargoes in accordance with the requirements of the Code of Federal Regulations, including preloading and shipboard temperatures and the loading and stowage of metal borings, shavings, turnings and cuttings.
• Conducted special cargo and/or safety inspection of specific requirements of governments, ship operators, insurance companies or shipper.
2000–2004 Turkon Line / Kasif Kalkavan Shipping Group Istanbul, Turkey
Chief Officer / 1155 TEU – ***** dwt container vessels / 16 months
• Managed cargo stowage. Coordinated terminal and line supervisors. Maximized the cargo load
• Maintained ship stability and managed on board ballast
• Supervised a diverse staff of 15 professionals and seamen
• Maintained ISPS ship security
• Oversaw maintenance, repair, support, and safety. Negotiated contracts with client and supervised implementation of regulatory guidelines
• Stood bridge watch while at sea
• Provided leadership during several crises on board, including an oil spillage, fire, heavy freezing spray, and grounding. Alerted the crew, assessed the situation, and supervised the emergency procedures. Delegated and directed the crew to follow emergency protocol. Motivated personnel and assessed damage. Kept the crew calm and minimized the losses.
2nd Officer / 1155 TEU – ***** dwt container vessels / 18 months
• Responsible for the port entry and custom clearance procedures.
• Performed medical and first aid-treatment for the ship's crew.
• Updated charts and other nautical publications.
• Maintained the navigation equipment.
• Updated ISM documentation.
• Stood bridge watch while at sea.
3rd Officer / 1155 TEU – ***** dwt container vessels / 10 months
• Inspected and maintained safety and firefighting equipment
• Stood bridge watch while at sea.
1999 Pinat Shipping Group Istanbul, Turkey
3rd Officer / ***** dwt – General cargo vessel / 7 months
• Internship - all duties as 3rd officer.
1998 Denak Shipping Group Istanbul, Turkey
Deck Cadet / ***** dwt – Bulk carrier / 3 months
1997 D. B Deniz Nakliyat Istanbul, Turkey
Deck Cadet / ***** grt – Car carrier / 2, months
Excellent command of written and spoken English
Lower intermediate in Spanish
PROFESSIONAL LICENSES & CREDENTIALS
• Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
• Electronic Chart Display Information System Operator Certificate (ECDIS)
• GMDSS Operator Certificate (G. O. C. )
• The Operational Use of Automatic Radar Plotting Aids (ARPA) Training Certificate
• Radar Observation & Plotting Training Certificate
• Personal Safety & Social Responsibility Training Certificate
• Personal Survival Techniques Training Certificate
• Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats Training Certificate
• VHF Radio Communications Training Certificate
• Advanced Fire Fighting Training Certificate, Fire Prevention & Fire Fighting Training Certificate
• Medical First Aid Training Certificate
• Ship Security Officer Certificate
INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES
Denizati Rowing Club – Founder and Executive committee member
European Student Association (AEGEE) –- Istanbul branch active member
2009 LATC (Los Angeles Transportation Club) scholarship recipient
2009 Port of Long Beach scholarship recipient
Won several gold, silver & bronze medals as a team and as individual during rowing.