Nancy R. *****
My contribution to biopharmaceutical companies is the ability to interface the commercial aspects of marketing, sales, professional relations and advocacy development with policy. Doing so has resulted in improvements in medical practices, enhanced clinical care guidelines, expanded market size and penetration, and optimized product use.
Commercial, Policy and Advocacy Integration
Extensive inter-departmental experience in efficient analysis of market dynamics, business risks, decision-maker and thought leader (TL) opinions, association positions and advocacy with related policy issues and opportunities in numerous health care issues, preventive measures and disease categories.
• Developed and executed innovative product marketing plans using public policy mechanisms to dramatically expand markets in pediatric and adult vaccines. This resulted in improved immunization access and reimbursement coverage for adults, doubling the influenza vaccine market within a six-month period and setting-in-motion today’s universal influenza immunization recommendations.
• Created and executed effective U. S. and ex-U. S. policy and advocacy plans for brands in the areas of pediatric and adult vaccines, depression, dementia, asthma and ophthalmology.
• Collected and integrated field-based information and published data to best understand the impact on U. S. and global commercial business, policy positions, and advocacy development.
• Innovated strategic approaches to identifying, analyzing and planning policy-based opportunities across multiple ‘non-related’ product categories, for example depression as a risk factor in asthma, diabetes and alcohol dependency.
• Total marketing P&L responsibility for $1 billion vaccine portfolio, product launches, strategic options and tactical plans, life cycle management, production forecasting, national and state policy and legislation, and advocacy development.
• Developed and implemented strategy to discontinue live oral polio vaccine in the U. S. concomitant with CDC adoption of inactivated vaccine.
Designed and executed plans to develop and integrate new policy and epidemiology information to engage U. S. and global TLs, government agencies, primary care and specialty professional and patient associations, and competitive pharmaceutical companies, to partner in medical practice advances.
• Developed and tested an evidence-based Long Term Care (LTC) employee and resident immunization Tool Kit with the Centers for Disease Control, consulting pharmacists and LTC physician and nurse experts. This project resulted in passage of legislation in 26 states requiring LTC employee immunization to protect residents from community-acquired disease as a condition of facility licensure.
• Created the first-ever harmonized adult immunization schedule to support increased vaccination, with CDC, ACP, National Medical Association and the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
• Created an evidence-based, validated Tool Kit to improve diagnosis, treatment and long-term care of depression in primary care with the American Psychiatric Association, American College of Physicians (ACP), and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP). This project resulted in improved reimbursement rates for primary care physicians engaged in treating patients within their practices.
• Generated a peer-reviewed publication with supportive evidence and benefits of early diagnosis, treatment and inter-disciplinary management of Alzheimer’s Disease in primary care, with the American Geriatric Society, American Association of Geriatric Psychiatry, Alzheimer’s Association, American Association of Neurology, ACP and AAFP.
• Convened a summit of experts to assess the value and clinical measurement of treating small airway inflammation with an improved asthma inhalant, engaging the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, Denver Jewish Hospital, National Asthma Education and Prevention Program.
• Engaged U. S. and global TLs in work groups to develop harmonized geriatric psychiatry treatment guidelines for Alzheimer’s Disease, a Glaucoma Global Risk Assessment Program, and criteria for glaucoma drug selection based on European treatment guidelines.
In-depth experience in multidisciplinary, multi-country team leadership to identify and execute short- and long-term business plans, high-quality investigator-initiated trials and corporate legal, medical, regulatory approval
• Designed and lead team to develop alternative vaccination administration and sales outlets in retail pharmacies.
• Led team efforts to secure licensing for a novel nasal spray influenza vaccine.
• Led global team development and implementation of TL and society advocacy plans.
• Advisory Board member addressing government and medical affairs policy in vaccines; only industry representative invited to be a member of the Community Health Committee of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Supervision and Organizational Design
Created and led a variety of biopharmaceutical company functions; effective management and development of professionals, fostering their problem-solving abilities and self-reliance, trusting them to perform well.
• Created and led innovative Professional Relations Department with 27 field-based staff and an $8 million budget devoted to the disease areas of depression, anxiety, geriatric and pediatric psychiatry, dementia, alcohol dependency, asthma, and hypertension.
• Franchise management leader of 7 Product Managers and 2 Market Analysts in vaccines.
• District Sales Manager of 12 – 15 field representatives in pediatrics and women’s health.
• Developed operational strategies for U. S. and multi-country policy groups, medical education, professional relations and created and implemented a career development program for advanced-degreed MSLs.
• Excellent ability to recognize and hire quality ***** munication
In-depth experience in written and oral communications with corporate executives, colleagues, TLs, national and state government agencies, professional societies, medical centers, cancer centers and medical practices in the disease areas of global vaccines, asthma, prostate health, diabetes, obesity, depression, dementia, HIV/AIDS and cardiometabolic diseases.
• Insight to headquarter colleagues on how externally gathered information impacts policy, advocacy and the commercial business
• Familiar with how headquarters groups address information about policy, advocacy and the commercial business; experienced in quickly understanding and adapting to new company systems, country healthcare systems and policies, therapeutic areas, and industry issues.
• Co-authored evidence-based policy messages on the value of vaccines, recently published as the first chapter of a three-chapter book, co-produced by the China Centers for Disease Control and GSKBio.
• Engaged in projects to create innovative evidence-based policy communications in market access, market expansion, international trade in biopharmaceuticals, intellectual property and compulsory licensing, benefit-risk communications, product pricing, public- and private-sector financing challenges associated with HIV/AIDS and infusion oncology.
Development of Tactics
Created and launched innovative collateral materials to support policy and advocacy strategies in infectious diseases and vaccines, HIV/AIDS, respiratory diseases, mood disorders, dementia, pain management, obesity, diabetes, dermatology, ophthalmology and oncology.
• Created evidence-based policy communications, evidence dossiers, customer Tool Kits, PowerPoint presentations, training manuals, enduring educational materials, and materials to support policy, government affairs and advocacy activities.
• Developed and executed multi-country consultant meetings and speaker training workshops, international congresses, CME live events, webinars and computer-based training, and primary market research.
INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT 2005 – Present
• Principal independent consultant to Strategic Health Policy International
• Consultant to InsightStrategy Advisors LLC on HIV/AIDS and oncology medical communications, policy and marketing
• Consultant to Rivermark LLC on health policy and health care reform
• Consultant to Cullari Communications on state government support
• Consultant to InterQuest LLC on advocacy development and CME
PFIZER GLOBAL PHARMACEUTICALS 2003 – 2005
• Director, Professional Relations: World Wide Ophthalmology Group
FOREST LABORATORIES 2000 – 2003
• Director, Professional Relations & Medical Science Liaisons
WYETH-AYERST LABORATORIES 1974 – 2000
• Group Product Director, Vaccines
• Product Manager, Diversified Pharmaceutical Products
• District Field Sales Manager, Specialty, Hospital and Field Sales Representative
B. A. Anthropology
Nancy R. *****