Senior Assignments as a business head / CEO / COO / Supply chain management / Global Sourcing/Domestic sourcing. / Global and local Vendor Development / Localization / Strategic sourcing/ VA/VE/ cost control / operations etc with a high growth oriented organisation. / MNC within India or abroad.
Business head / vertical head .
Summary of Skills & Experience
• Working as a Group Head sourcing – SETCO automotive ltd , an Indian MNC operating in US and UK . looking after entire groups purchases .
• Taken over as a Operations head in Tata Yazaki auto comp in Aug. 2009 and heading business with an annual turnover of 300 crs .
• Worked on Efficiency improvement, Output improvement, Improved the Delivery performance , Manpower reduction, Improving the customer satisfaction index, capacity planning and buffer management and Flow improvement through Theory of constraints , TPS and 5 S improvements .
• Over 2 decades of rich experience in Supply chain management / Global and local sourcing , Vendor Development, Product Development , alue Engineering , cost planning and Cost management in Automobile & Consumer Durable Goods sector. Strong focus on Vendor devp and cost management.
• Expertise in Cost reduction activities ( cost champion ) using tools and activities like VA/VE, Benchmarking, Teardown analysis etc. Have worked on various Cost reduction projects to support the profitability. Posses sound technical knowledge on various engineering processes.
• Strong business acumen .
• Expertise in supporting overseas operations in India and leading and coordinating the complete activities for timely implementation of project and business plans.
• Proficient in developing and streamlining systems with proven ability to achieve cost savings and meet production targets within the cost & time parameters. Worked on the PPAP of various projects at Tata Yazaki .
• Experience in the development of new products including developing prototypes with cost effective solutions.
• Capacity to build and lead effective teams . Excellent skills in team building, organisation building, man management , nd proven abilities in planning and managing resources.
• Experience in Import and export logistics including freight and clearance management.
• Experience in working on the TS and Tata Business excellence model .
• Exposure to a multi-cultural working environment
• Ability to work independently and to take decisions
Areas of Expertise
Managing the complete Supply Chain
Global Sourcing and localisation.
Domestic Vendor Development
Purchase & Logistics
Value Engineering / Value analysis and Cost Control
Presently heading the SETCO automotive s Global / Domestic sourcing activity.
The spend is @ 300 crs
was heading Operations and responsible for the business of 300 crs annually . The customers handled are Tata Motors, Fiat .
This is a new assignment in addition to heading the Sourcing operations and component business operations ( separate profit centre )
This also involves converting customer plans in to business , improving the bottom line by way of reducing the consumptions , controlling the rejections , reducing the scrap, improving the efficiency, improving the down time .
Since March 2005 , working as a Sr. General Manager – sourcing and head of component business unit ( separate profit centre ) , senior purchasing and SCM role with “ Tata Yazaki Auto comp Ltd “ Pune – India , a joint venture between Taco group and YAZAKI corporation – Japan , a company mfg. and supplying Automotive Electrical wiring harness and distribution systems to Toyota , onda, Nissan, General Motors , VW and many other car and truck mfg companies world wide – worlds largest Wiring harness mfg company having @ 35 % market share across the globe and present all over the world in 50 countries with 300, 00 employees.
I am responsible for complete supply chain management / sourcing / cost management and development activity and reporting to CEO in India / Yazaki in Japan .
Have been working on Volkswagen project for wiring harness and components development.
Improved the mfg. Efficiency from 55 % to 70 % in a span of 6 months .
Improvement of Customer deliveries from 80 % to 100 % .
Improvement of Customer rating from 55 % to 87 % .
Improvement in the Absent sum from 27 % to 13 % .
Reduction in the outsourcing , Brought 5 mfg. Lines from the sub cons to in house , improvement in the in sourcing.
Out put / Sq mtr improved from 8 man hours to 18 man hours .
Drastically improved shop floor condition by benchmarking with yazaki other locations.
Working on various business projects , localization and COM-BU is one of them. y worked on the Automotive PVC wire development ( Localisation ) .
Initiated PVC wire development with two foreign players who are setting up a plants in India , tied up with one of them.
I am also localising automotive electrical connecting and protecting systems for Global and domestic car mfgs in India. This includes plastic injection , rubber moulded components and coverings.
I have developed a unique high profit making COMBU concept at TYA . I am responsible for Strategic tie ups of Yazaki, Tata Yazaki and local selected suppliers . I am responsible for recommending TYA and Yazaki in Investing and taking the equity in the recommended source.
Involvement in many critical component development projects from concept designing to tool designing to tool mfg to trials to evaluations to mass mfg.
Have visited many times to Yazaki Japan and other locations for integration .
Implemented Yazaki’s SOC ( Substance of concern )/ ELV project in TYA and represented Tata Yazaki at Global level .
Have been a Global auditor on SOC and have audited various Yazaki’s sites .
I am a trained GSQD ( Global supplier quality ) Auditor.
Built a capable team of sourcing professionals to manage the present and future business which has been growing at @ 30 % pa.
I am a cost management trainer and have visited various prestigious institute to conduct the sessions on it .
• Handling a total purchase of Rs. 3000 Million and 7000 components required for various programmes like Toyota, Honda, GM, FIAT, W and Tata Motors etc.
• Indirect purchase – Import and Local @ 10, 00 odd components. Project purchase and tooling purchase which includes various machines and applicators procurement.
• Procurement of capital goods for all the plants .
• Exposure to SAP
• Supplier selection through Yazaki GSQD audit syst. , Supplier evaluation through GSQD audit, Contract management .
• Supplier development for various components like connectors , erminals, plastic parts, Rubber components, press parts, various toolings development – conducting global supplier quality devp audits .
• Localization and cost management , Cost reductions and cost efficiency , cost data maintaince.
• Driving and Implementing Global sourcing for Wiring harness component and commodities like PVC Cu wires , connectors, Terminals, plastic parts etc and supporting Yazaki’s overseas operations in India.
• Strategic sourcing and JV tie ups with the suppliers . total 4 suppliers selected in ***** , MOU signed with one of them.
• Handling Component business unit . identifying opportunities in Wiring harness components business.
• Preparing GSQD audits, Technical menu lists and agreements to be signed by the top management.
• Preparation and execution of RFQ’s. and Evaluation and negotiations of the offers .
• Responsible for a complete annual sourcing budget activity and its reviews.
• Complete freight and logistics management which includes import logistics and customs clearing
• Supplier quality assurance for all import and local components
• Complete warehouse and logistic management.
Nov’97 to March 2005, with Matsushita Washing Machines India (P) Ltd. a Japanese MNC having presence all over the world with brand names like Panasonic , National , Technique etc. - as Sr. Manager – SCM (Purchase, development & Materials ). Joined the company from the inception stage and handled the complete supply chain management
Reporting to Managing Director all along for about 8 years .
Developed the washing machine for the Domestic and export business in a record time of 9. 50 months .
Have worked on the technology bringing, heavy tooling development, tools and components trials and evaluations for semi and fully automatic washing machines.
Have developed Chinese component and assembly supplier for components like Gear boxes. Implemented this project successfully.
Have worked on various cost reduction projects to compete in Indian and Japanese market.
Attended global cost reduction conferences in Panasonic headquarter in Osaka JAPAN and presented 8 papers in on various wild cost reduction ideas to reduce the input cost .
Got awarded for implementing these ideas in India initially and then globally.
Got awarded for the best in the cost management and innovation approach.
Was sent to Japan for Cost management training for two month.
• Heading the purchase and materials management function in the company; managing purchases worth Rs 700 Million. Managing supplier quality and stores .
• Developed all the components like bigger plastic components ranging from 600 MT to 1800 MT machines , tooling and parts , press parts, basic raw materials, Al die castings, motors, gearboxes etc.
• Reduced cost of inputs by 8% p. a. by effective use of value engineering and value analysis methodology. Input cost reduction from Rs. 4700 to Rs. 2300 per washing machine .
• Involved in the procurement of Colour Coated Steels, GP Steels, Al Ingots, Poly Prop, Engineering Plastic, FHP Motors, Timers, Gear Boxes, Fasteners, etc.
• Inventory management as per targeted norms reviewed by the management on a monthly basis.
• Supplier selection and evaluation through Panasonic quality process.
• Cost analysis on a continuous basis to reduce the input costs.
• Preparation and execution of the RFQ’s . Negotiations with the suppliers based on the offers received.
Nov’95 to Nov’97 with Bajaj Tempo Ltd. as Manager – Purchase & Vendor Development
• Involved in the development of Mercedez Benz OM 616 Engine.
• Involved in the Make or buy decisions.
• Involved in the development of castings and machined castings, forgings and
machined forgings , bar machined parts, tubes machined parts,
• Procurement of Auto interiors / Exteriors for Tempo traveller vehicles.
May’92 to Oct’95 with piaggio Greaves Ltd. as Asst. Manager
Develop the complete Diesel engine auto three wheeled vehicle in a record time of 8 months.
Developed all press parts castings, forging and machined parts , toolings and jigs and fixtures in 6 months.
Was heading the complete purchasing and development activity.
• Involved in the procurement of raw materials and components like Steel Sheets, Al Ingots, Castings, Forgings, Bars, Tubes, Machine Components, Prop Components like Tyres, Tubes, Bearings, Auto Electricals, Head Lights, Tail Lights, Oil Seals, Wiring Harnesses, Seating System, etc.
Oct’80 to May’92 with Bajaj Auto Ltd. as Sr. Purchase Engineer
This was my first Job and I was at Bajaj for almost 12 years. Have handled all the commodities and was nominated for Kawasaki components developments and sourcing.
• Handled almost all the commodities.
• Handled press tools, moulds, dies developments .
• Was involved in the development of Kawasaki components development .
• Conducting studies at vendor’s end and streamlined the raw materials norms leading to cost reduction.
Training Programmes Attended
• 2 month training on Purchase, Cost Management, Value Engineering, Value Analysis at Matsushita, Japan. Awarded for the best Cost reduction idea implemented across the globe .
• 1 year training on Gear Shop, Machine Shop, Chassis Shop at Bajaj Auto Ltd. , Pune.
• Internal Auditor Course in ISO ***** and IS 9000:2000.
• Attended a Stanford University course on the creativity , ost management and was recognized for the best creativity idea.
• Attended Prog. On Theory of constraints by Goldratt USA.
• Visited Singapore, Hong Kong & China for supplier selection and component development.
• Visited Japan / China / Germany / Belgium / Indonesia / Thailand / Singapore for various assignments on developments, quality settlements , audits , ****cation
• Diploma in Business Management from Institute of Management Development Research, Pune in 1983. (Secured 63. 7%)
• Diploma in Mechanical Engineering from Board of Technical Examinations, Mumbai in 1980. (Secured 62%)
Other Course and extra curricular actives
• Pursuing Japanese Language Course.
• Visiting Faculty on Cost management at Administrative staff college of India. Hyderabad, Thaper - CGL training centre pune etc .
• Conducted in house cost management programmes.
• Travelling, Photography, painting is my hobby.