Molecular diagnostics laboratory supervisor
the molecular diagnostics laboratory is housed in one of the largest and most sophisticated university-based laboratories in the country. Our 6,400 square foot lab includes two large testing areas with state-of-the-art equipment, safety features, and office space. The molecular diagnostics laboratory uses progressive technologies and procedures to evaluate infectious disease, pharmacogenomics, inherited disorders, hematology, oncology and other gene abnormalities.
the successful candidate will oversee daily operations of the molecular diagnostics laboratory which performs a variety of high volume molecular assays. Responsibilities will include supervises daily operations and personnel, performing duties of a technical specialist, oversees clinical testing and results reporting in all areas where training and verification of competency are attained. Primary responsibilities include test schedule coordination, quality control, technical troubleshooting, training technical and non-technical staff and ensuring a high quality of services under the close supervision of the laboratory management.
Essential job duties and responsibilities
1. Assumes responsibility for day-to-day operation of the molecular diagnostics laboratory, operating the lab according to clia and cap guidelines.
2. Oversees medical technologists; troubleshoots assay failures and make suggestions and/or corrections.
3. Interacts with clients and clinicians to answer questions on appropriate testing.
4. Monitors work flow, assay volumes, tat, set-ups, reagents, sops, etc.
5. Maintains all aspects of qc and qa relevant to the cap certification standards.
7. Performs other job related duties as assigned by laboratory management.
education and experience
• certification as a medical technologist (mt) or medical laboratory scientist (mls) by the american society for clinical pathology (ascp) or clinical laboratory scientist (cls) by the national credentialing agency (nca) or equivalent ascp categorical certification
• minimum of four (4) years of clinical work experience as a medical technologist in the field of molecular diagnostics with at least three (3) years in a leadership role (senior/lead level with increased responsibility)
• bachelor's degree in clinical laboratory science (bscls) or biological science from an accredited program unless grandfathered under previous hiring requirements or ph.D. Or foreign trained md
• master's degree in clinical lab science (mscls) or biological science from an accredited program and ascp specialty certification preferred+8 Other Responses
Molecular Genetics Lab
Lab manager-molecular genetics
the laboratory manager is accountable for the accuracy and reliability of all laboratory services provided by the departments under his/her supervision; directs the training, developmental and supervision of departmental personnel; plans and schedules the activities of the departments; assumes responsibility for the proper application of laboratory policies and procedures; and operates the departments on a cost-effective basis. The incumbent actively supports and complies with all company and departmental policies and procedures.
Essential job duties and responsibilities
overall responsibility for department operations to include but not limited to quality, cost, and people.Responsible for the development and on-going maintenance of a detailed laboratory procedure manual; format established to meet accreditation and licensing requirements.
Responsible for maintenance of good client relations and ensures that technical personnel are responsive to client inquiries or problems and/or that they are directed to a competent authority.Responsible for compliance with department and company quality assurance and quality control programs.Assists in the preparation of the annual budget of the departments and submits to the technical/science director and lab ops director, for approval; operates the departments in a cost effective manner within budgetary controls.Prepares a monthly report for the technical/science director and lab ops director detailing departmental activities, revenues, expenses, and quality improvement projects.Attends laboratory management meetings and informs his/her employees of pertinent information
Provides timely and accurate information for the professional services manual, tat schedule, panic values, specimen requirements on an annual basis.Ensures that tests are performed in a timely manner using appropriate quality control procedures to provide valid data.
Responsible for developing, recommending, endorsing and reviewing test methods to include validation, documentation and installation of test systems.Ensures problem/corrected reports are minimized and strives for zero defects.Responsible for recommendation, purchase, and evaluation of capital equipment.Coordinates and provides bench level supervision of projects directed by the technical/science director.
Experience, education, and licensure
bachelor of science degree in chemistry, biology, medical technology or related field, with 8 years related experience required. 2 years progressively responsible management experience preferred.
Broad knowledge of technical aspects of the tests performed and equipment utilized by the departments under his/her supervision.Ability to stay up-to-date of the latest innovations in test methodologies pertaining to the departments of supervision.Ability to develop and/or direct the implementation of new and improved laboratory tests.Required to handle biological samples and potentially hazardous chemicals.+15 Other Responses